Friday, July 19, 2013

Tervetuloa kotiin - Welcome home

A year later and I've finally made it back to Finland! I left Buffalo Wednesday at noon and flew to New York, then to Amsterdam, then to Helsinki, plus layovers, then a two hour car ride to Nokia, for a total of 20 hours of travel. And I had been awake for 26 hours with only about 2-3 hours of napping the whole way... I'm surprised I didn't collapse.

I was met at the airport by my host dad Matti and brother Eeti. It was a weird moment actually seeing them again and it was immediately like I had only been away from them for a few weeks, not years. 
From the airport we drove two hours back to Nokia. But first we made a stop at... McDonald's. And Taylor Swift was playing. And then more country music. I had just left that country, and here I was. It made us laugh. 

When we got home, I was met by my other host brother, Ante, and went right inside a hugged my host mom, Anne, and it was all back to normal. It still feels weird to be back because everything is the exact same and it might as well be part of last summer. And hearing Finnish at all times doesn't feel like a big change this time. 
The first thing I did at home was have a huge conversation about anything and everything with my Finnish parents: the first thing I did last year too. For dinner? Salmon. No surprise there. The rest of night I spent time yawning, and going to a hardware store. Nothing extravagant, but it was nice to be with my Finns and actually use Finnish with them, something that was tough to start using again. 

Today, my first full day here, I woke up and immediately had a breakfast of karjalanpiirakat (Karelian rice pastry), one of my favorites. Soon after that, I left to downtown Tampere with Anne and Ante. We dropped Ante off at the movie theater and Anne and I went to three different furniture stores (like mother like son). 'Twas delightful. 

Fun fact: Anne's cousin's wife is one of the radio announcers for the national network YLE, which I had listened to at home all year. I didn't know I was listening to someone I knew!

I haven't really started taking pictures yet, but here's two from my phone:


Karjalanpiirakat
         

No comments:

Post a Comment