Saturday, July 20, 2013

Aurinko vihdoinkin paistaa! - The sun finally shines!
























After two rainy days in Finland (at least for me since I arrived), the sun finally started shining. Yesterday would've been comparable to weather in October at home; I was wearing pants and a jacket too. This is a big change from how boiling hot it was at home before I left. But today had good weather and it made for a good day.



After getting ready and having morning kahvi (you can probably guess what that one means), we set out to first bring my brother Ante to training, and then I, along with Anne and Eeti, went across the street to Hinttala, a museum that is a plot of old farm buildings showing how Finns used to live a long time ago. All the buildings were built from the mid-1800s to early 1900s. We walked around inside for a few minutes and saw all the old rooms filled with furniture of the time. Then we headed outside and tried old fashioned stilts. I'm a pro, if I may say so myself...








After that, Anne and I drove into Tampere. Once there, we went to Pyynikin näkötorni, a tower on the top of the ridge in the middle of the city. On both sides are the two lakes that surround Tampere, Näsijärvi to the North, and Pyhäjärvi to the South. There is a cafe at the base of the tower which is known for its munkki, which is like a doughnut but with cardamom in the dough. So we had munkki ja kahvi (munkki and coffee) together, a very Finnish thing to do when in Tampere.



















For the rest of the day we did some food shopping, went to a flea market, visited an aunt, and now to top the day off with sauna!





1 comment:

  1. Ah William! Alice and I went to that same tower and had that same treat!Have fun in Suomi!

    ReplyDelete